Today, the crew of Camelot fought back in a tightly run race. We had a hard day yesterday in high winds, overpowered with the whomper foresail. It whomped the grinders for sure. We came in third in the long upstream there-and-back race to Lakeway.
We changed to a smaller jib this morning. We got off the start line close to our competitors and ran a good three hour battle of tacks and jibes. At the end of the day, we came in second, which was good enough for second in our class. Not bad.
Monte and I joined Mary Ann today to crew with Kurt and Kevin on S/V Camelot on day 1 of the 2021 Governor’s Cup at the Austin Yacht Club. It was a beautiful, sunny, windy day. This was a 20 mile course. Tomorrow’s will be shorter. We’re in the mix!
We signed up to crew for Kurt & Kevin in the 2019 Turnback Canyon Regatta this weekend on Lake Travis. It is an annual 2-day up-the-river-and-back-the-next-day race, approximately 25 miles each day. The evening in between is a fun affair with lots of boats at anchor, and a festival ashore.
Unfortunately, this week’s rains have flooded the Day 1 overnight venue, so the Austin Yacht Club changed the format to be two round-trip races starting and ending at the yacht club, one race on Saturday and one on Sunday.
This morning we showed up and got off the start line with rain threatening in the distance. The race committee eventually abandoned the race due to lightning and pounding rain. Temperatures were in the high 50’s and low 60’s, so we were cold and wet when we pulled back up to the dock. But we were doing so well!
This was the weekend of the Governor’s Cup Regatta on Lake Travis – a two-day set of races for all classes of sailboats, including Sunfish, J-boats, centerboards, and PHRF-handicapped multi-hulls and monohulls. We showed up early at Austin Yacht Club on Saturday morning; overcast, foggy and with storms in the forecast. Our class had five Catalina 30s registered. It would have been a fun weekend of racing.
But instead of racing, we sat through lightning-laced back-to-back postponements until all races were eventually abandoned for the day at 1PM. In the picture above you can just barely see the red & white striped AP flag () flying on the far right halyard of the flag pole – indicating that we were operating under a postponement at the time.
The same thing happened on Day 2, yesterday, except the N over A flags (), indicating abandonement of all races for the regatta, were hoisted before 9AM.
It would have been nice to race, but I’ll take the rain! The picture above is a shot of the low clouds and rain over Arkansas Bend on Saturday. Even if there had been no rain, there was no wind.
We crewed for Kurt on Camelot yesterday in one of the Austin Yacht Club’s Spring Series Races. A cold front blew into town the day before so it was cold! Temps started out in the 40s. We had to dig out our ear muffs, gloves, scarves and heavy coats. But, it turned out to be a nice day, in spite of the cold.
And we did well. Camelot took First Place in its class for the Spring Series!