This was the weekend of the Governor’s Cup Regatta on Lake Travis – a two-day set of races for all classes of sailboats, including Sunfish, J-boats, centerboards, and PHRF-handicapped multi-hulls and monohulls. We showed up early at Austin Yacht Club on Saturday morning; overcast, foggy and with storms in the forecast. Our class had five Catalina 30s registered. It would have been a fun weekend of racing.
But instead of racing, we sat through lightning-laced back-to-back postponements until all races were eventually abandoned for the day at 1PM. In the picture above you can just barely see the red & white striped AP flag () flying on the far right halyard of the flag pole – indicating that we were operating under a postponement at the time.
The same thing happened on Day 2, yesterday, except the N over A flags (), indicating abandonement of all races for the regatta, were hoisted before 9AM.
It would have been nice to race, but I’ll take the rain! The picture above is a shot of the low clouds and rain over Arkansas Bend on Saturday. Even if there had been no rain, there was no wind.