Several months ago, I noticed water leaking from our 10-year old GE front-load washing machine while doing a load of laundry. Upon inspection, I saw that a little piece of the rubber seal between the drum and the door had been torn away.
For a while, a temporary repair involving tape worked. But the leak returned and eventually got worse.
After a little internet research, I found and ordered a replacement part – a new rubber door gasket – and found a couple of videos walking through how to replace it step by step. I suggest watching more than one, as each one highlights slightly different things. These are the 2 videos I found. I decided to give it a shot.
The part came in last week, so today was the day to install it! The videos are only about 15 minutes long. My total elapsed repair time was around 3 hours, though, which included collecting the tools I needed, moving the washer out to where I could work on it, cleaning everything as I went, and playing/pausing both videos as I proceeded from one step to the next.
The patient, with new door gasket sitting on top of the machine:
While the videos say the repair is an easy one, it does require you to disassemble much of the machine, or at least more than I thought would fall into the “easy” category.
New door gasket part-way installed!
I think it went pretty much as the videos showed. Removing and reattaching the second clamp was not as easy as the videos made it look, but I went very, very slowly and it eventually worked out fine. I’m doing the first post-repair load of laundry as I write this, and I don’t see as much as a drop of water on the floor. Thank God.
The machine is fixed, it’s clean inside and out, and I finally leveled the washer after ten years of having it wobble a bit. Bonus!