We have been working in the yard quite a bit lately. Two weekends ago we set out to save a stand of 5 or six struggling young liveoaks in our back wooded area that had been dealt two bad cards: they were being overshadowed by invasive hackberry trees, and completely defoliated by catepillars this spring. They looked like goners.
So we cut the hackberries down, fertilized the oaks, and sprayed to get rid of the remaining catepillars. For the last two weeks i’ve been checking on them every day, watching tiny lime green buds pop out up and down each branch, and then watching the buds turn into tiny leaves. And with all the recent rains they are starting to look like trees again. I think they’ll make it!